Malivoire’s Butternut Squash Soup
- ½ cup butter
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Spanish onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup of water
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 8 cups of vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup of 35 % cream
- Approx. 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
Yields about 3 liters
Over low heat, melt butter in a large soup pot. Add the squash, onions, garlic, and apples and sauté until soft.
Add one cup of water, salt and pepper, then cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
Remove lid and add vegetable stock (or water) and cream.
Cook uncovered for about an hour over medium-low heat and add the thyme.
Remove from heat and purée in a blender (in batches) or using a hand blender. (Remember to take care when blending HOT liquids in a blender, do not overfill the container)
Once all the soup is puréed and back in the soup pot, stir and taste for seasoning.
If needed, adjust the salt, pepper or cream.
Serve with dollop of sour cream, toasted sour dough bread…and Chardonnay of course!